Family Directed, Family Centered, Child Focused
The aim of providing outpatient outreach services within the school setting is to engage children and families who are in need of professional help to overcome mild to moderate mental health symptoms. We focus on helping the child overcome/ manage these symptoms by working individually with the child but also by working with the child’s family system which allows the parents and the child to:
- Direct the course of treatment delivery.
- Create reasonable goals for the child and family to achieve sustainable results.
- Foster greater stability and well-being for the family and the child.
- Allow children and their families to be served in a location that is deemed therapeutically beneficial for the child and family, to support and achieve their desired outcomes.
Outpatient counseling services provided by Northwest Directions (NWD) and educational services provided by the school district are separate services. Each entity abides by strict confidentiality rules. Information that is shared between the two entities is directed by the child and his/her guardian through a release of information form. These rules and boundaries are important and both entities value them. We also value collaboration among these entities. Through the collaboration and sharing of information between identified professionals, greater stability can be achieved for the family and the child in both the school and the community environment. Both entities will abide by the guardian’s decision on how NWD and the school will communicate.
Individualized/ Culturally Competent/ Belief in Growth
NWD services will be individualized, family-centered, and culturally sensitive with a focus on building strengths. NWD will generate a comprehensive assessment of the child’s mental health status and a treatment plan that allows the family and child to gain stability and focus on their priorities. It is our belief that every family and child can grow, recover and function at a level that improves their quality of life.
We offer outpatient psychiatric services via our certified telehealth services to our active Northwest Journey youth. Patients must be referred by their primary care physician. To schedule an appointment, please call 866-727-5805.
Consider Northwest Directions Outpatient Services when:
- A child or adolescent is experiencing mild to moderate mental health symptoms as evidenced by:
- Intermittent school absence or school avoidance
- A decrease in academic functioning and/or performance
- Isolating behaviors
- Difficulty concentrating or staying alert
- Appearing irritable
- Change in sleep and/or eating habits
- Increase in challenging behaviors
- Engaging in self harm activities
- Change in mood and/or affect
- Difficulty establishing and maintaining peer relationships
- Loss of interest in hobbies/activities
- A significant change in a child’s behavior.
- A significant stressor has occurred in the child or adolescent’s life such as a loss, divorce, familial discord, or any emotional turmoil within the child or adolescent’s primary support group.
- A child is transitioning from a day treatment setting, residential placement, inpatient hospitalization, and/or out of home placement back into his/her natural environment and/or supports.
- Parents express concern about their child’s behavior and/or emotional functioning in the home.
- A teacher(s) indicates concern about a student’s behavior and/or emotional functioning in school.
- Third party payers (Private Insurance or Medical Assistance)- Our business department will work with referring parties and families to determine and develop coverage plans.
- Self-pay contracts can be arranged on an as-needed basis.
Making a Referral
- Northwest Directions accepts referrals from parents, social service personnel, community service providers (therapists, psychiatrists), and schools.
- For additional referral or admissions information please contact a Northwest Directions program directly. This direct contact also offers you an opportunity to learn more about our agency and our services.
Outpatient Clinic Administrator: Ashley Johnson
Phone: (920) 336-8960
Fax: (920) 336-8963
Northwest Directions - Black River Falls
Phone: (715) 284-1100
Fax: (715) 284-1145
Northwest Directions - Menomonie
Phone: (715) 235-4245
Fax: (715) 235-4421
Northwest Directions - Wisconsin Rapids
Phone: (715) 424-5051
Fax: (715) 424-5720